Thursday 16 October 2014

Melting Gold Lion Head

This piece I'm starting is connected to some ideas I'm working with from Alchemy but for now here's the sculpture in progress...


First step, some 3D renders to test out how it could look


Next I sliced the 3D model into flat vector images that were cut out of 4 sheets of cardboard, I popped out the sections and glued them together.

Next I began coating the cardboard in wood filler/ putty and sanding. 

Here's the lion head after 2 coats of wood filler and a spray coat of primer. It will take a fair bit more layering/sanding but the organic look is starting to come through. I got a suggestion to leave some of the piece in its raw layered state and I think I will do that 


Green/Gold Lion at the green stage

Here's the Alchemical source image for the lion head from The Alchemical and Rosicrucian Compendium ca. 1760. 

No comments:

Post a Comment